The Family Law Unit provides FREE and EXPERIENCED representation in family law matters to victims of intimate partner violence including: victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual violence and stalking.
For TIME SENSITIVE CASES including if you have been served with family law legal documents, or need representation for a Final Hearing for Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence, you MUST come to our office with all legal documents as soon as possible. You may complete an application in our office or download and complete the application in advance and bring it with you.
For cases that are NOT time sensitive, including to file for divorce or paternity, you may download the attached Family Law Application packet, and drop it off at our office or return it by mail to the attention of Family Law Intake Paralegal, or you can come to our office to complete an application, and leave it for our review”.
Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. If you are afraid your internet and/or computer usage might be monitored, please use a safer computer or call the Florida Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline (800) 500-1119 or TTY (800) 621-4202.
WE MAY BE ABLE TO ASSIST WITH:
- INJUNCTIONS: (Restraining Orders): If you have a Temporary Injunction, we could represent you at the Final Hearing for Final Judgment of Injunction for Protection. We may also provide you with advice on whether to file an Injunction and how to go forward with your Temporary Injunction or Order Setting Hearing on Petition. For more information on how to obtain an Injunction, please read the articles on our website entitled, “How To Obtain an Injunction” and “The Nuts and Bolts of Petitioning For A Restraining Order.”
- DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE: (Divorce) We represent victims of domestic violence in their dissolution of marriage cases.
- PATERNITY: We represent victims of domestic violence in petitioning for, or defending, a Paternity action. We can offer advice on whether to file a Paternity action.
HOW TO APPLY FOR FAMILY LAW REPRESENTATION:
- You have obtained a TEMPORARY INJUNCTION (restraining order), you HAVE A HEARING DATE, and you want an Attorney to help you, or
- You have BEEN SERVED with family law documents,
**COME INTO OUR OFFICE IMMEDIATELY WITH ALL OF YOUR PAPERWORK!**
* If you want to file for divorce against your spouse, or want to file a Paternity action, come to our office to fill out an application Monday through Friday before 3pm. Give us a safe address for mail. You will receive a letter from us about your eligibility. Or, you can call 954-358-5644, Monday, Wednesday or Friday mornings (9AM-12PM) to complete an application by phone.
HOW TO OBTAIN AN INJUNCTION
The Domestic Violence Department in the Clerk of Court’s Office will help you complete the paperwork necessary to ask the Court for an INJUNCTION FOR PROTECTION AGAINST DOMESTIC, REPEAT, DATING, STALKING OR SEXUAL VIOLENCE (Restraining Order). If you are a victim of domestic, repeat, dating, stalking or sexual violence and you are in genuine fear, this Department will assist you in filing the papers to petition the Court for an Injunction for Protection against your abuser. Location: CLERK OF COURT- Domestic Violence Department
DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE (DIVORCE) A BRIEF OVERVIEW
Click for further details on each topic.
WHAT IS A DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE, AND WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?